Monday, July 9, 2012

Running

Jared and I ran our first 10K on July 4th.  I've run six miles lots of times.  I've run MORE than six miles lots of times.  It was still different running the race, I'm glad we did it before the half marathon coming up.  There are all these PEOPLE in your way, messing with your pace, getting in your way... it's so different.  One of the things I like best about running is the feeling of aloneness it gives me... with so many people asking for my attention all day, it's nice to just be ALONE.
 This is us before the race.  See how we're happy and relatively sweat free?  We ran together for about the first half, then, just as I was getting my stride at about 3 miles, Jared got a cramp in his calf.  So, I ran the rest of the way alone (well, kind of).  There was finally enough space (translation, I was finally far enough behind) that there weren't so many people and I could find my rhythm again.  The last half was more fun than the first:)
This is Jared finishing the race.  There is no picture of me finishing the race because I smoked him.  (Ok, I came in like 4 minutes before he did.)  My average pace was 10:34, which is pretty good for an old lady who ran four miles (ok, lets face it, I'd never run 2 miles!) for the first time in her life 11 weeks ago.

I am really enjoying running, but every once in a while I ask myself why I'm running places, circles in fact, to get nowhere.  The answer?  The way my calves look in my four inch heels on Sunday.  That's what it's all about:)  No, seriously, it's all mental.  I never thought I was one of those people who could do it.  Running is serious exercise, for serious athletes.  My sister in law Lora asked how I was feeling about the big race coming up, and my answer is, nervous.  About what, I don't know.  That I won't finish?  Not likely.  And besides, if I don't what is there, a half marathon police that gets you if you walk the last mile?  I think I'm hoping it will be almost... fun.  I have religiously followed my training, I hope this race cements my enjoyment of running and that my body is not so trashed at the end that I never want to run again.

Because, guess what?  I'm a runner:)

2 comments:

Lora said...

You rock! Enough said.

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

GO AMY. Pretty soon your van will have to have a 13.1 bumper sticker!