Sunday, August 21, 2011

Books

So, I have to read to Sam for 20 minutes every day, and I've been trying to find books that are above his reading level that he would find interesting. So, we started with George's Marvelous Medicine, he totally ate that up. We finished The Twits last night, and tonight started on The Chocolate Touch when it became apparent that I didn't have the copy of The Witches I thought I did. There is something so fascinating about women whose sole purpose in life is to get rid of little boys because they smell like fresh dogs droppings. Sam was intrigued when I gave him the teaser, he even prayed that I would find it, which I didn't, but I WAS able to order it on his next book order... pretty sure he'll be the only kindergartener with that book:) Now I need to find a copy of Danny the Champion of the World.

ANYWAYS, I know lots about little girl books... in fact, Pearl has read some of my childhood favorites this summer (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Mandy, though she thought sideways stories from wayside school was disturbing... hmm, Sam would probably like that one) but I don't know what little boys are supposed to read. Help! Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Lora said...

I love Roald Dahl! Good times. Here are some of my suggestions: The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Indian in the Cupboard, The Borrowers, Half Magic, and The Great Brain. All are definitely above his reading level, but will probably be enjoyed as read alouds. The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease also has some reading suggestions.

Amy said...

ooh, thanks Lora! I forgot about the Indian and the Cupboard AND the great brain, two of my FAVORITES as a kid! And, I just purchased the Borrowers for Pearl to read later in the year when her reading level comes up a bit... maybe they'll read that one together:) I knew I could count on you!

Maryann said...

"My Father's Dragon". It's the first of a trilogy. A little more simplistic than the other great books you're reading but my second graders loved it. The boy has a backpack full of random stuff and he uses it all in his adventure. I once came across a sci-fi for kids when we were talking about different genres at school, I think it was something like the Norby chronicles. It had a cool robot...It might be better for next year. Anyway, those are the first two I thought of that haven't been mentioned already.

Elise said...

Oh, man I can't remember what kid's reading levels are, but Justin and I loved the How to Train Your Dragon books and they are soooo little boy. I mean one of the character's names is Snotface Snotlout and another is Baggy Bum. And they even have goofy little sketches in them. Oh, and they are also absolutely nothing like the movie...except they have dragons in them.

It seems like if you are reading Roald Dahl books then these are on the same level.