Thursday, November 10, 2011

Baby Quilt

This is my friend Luan. She is amazing, a true artist. I think if you asked her, she would say quilting is a hobby. But I kind of think it's a necessity for her. My first Luan quilt was purchased by my mother in law, Sherry, who just happens to be a very close friend of Luan's. It's currently on my bed, it's moved around over the past ten years, but every once in a while I get sick of my duvet cover and it gets moved from the living room couch back to my bed. I love it.

When Max was born, she gifted me a quilt for him. One of these days, I'll have to take pictures of his quilt too, because I absolutely love it. You see, Luan is a true artist, with the eye and the ability to take these tiny scraps of fabric, (even ones that would be ugly on their own) that I would probably throw away and make a masterpiece. So, when it was time for the big kids to get new bedding, I decided I'd rather spend the money on something so genuine than on another quilt from pottery barn kids that they would grow out of, so I bought one for Pearl and one for Sam. It's been about 6 months since I purchased them, and every time I walk by I have to look at them again, they are that beautiful. She now sells them on Etsy, you can see her shop here.

So, needless to say, I was thrilled when she said I could come pick out a quilt for Ruby. I know how much time goes into these quilts, it's an amazing gift.
The deal is, Luan gets to hold the baby while I pick out the quilt. Both parties involved (meaning Ruby and Luan) were quite happy about it.

Here is the one I picked. Not like I could have gone wrong, but Pearl's quilt is really bright with a lot of orange overtones, so I wanted something that would coordinate. This one happens to have been a joint effort between my friend Darlene, who made the squares in the middle then donated them to Luan. Then, Luan put it all together and added the boarders. So so crazy cute!
This pattern is called a Dresden Plate. I have always loved them, all flowery looking, and they're mainly the reason I picked this quilt. The yellow middles make my happy. I still don't see how she can take such a hodgepodge of colors and patterns and make them into such a cohesive picture! Then, she finishes it all off by hand quilting every seam. Gorgeous.
Max decided that the stripey pattern on the boarder was a road.
See, he even told me:)
It's nice and big, so it ends up being a fabulous place to chill...
and to practice lifting your head,
or NOT lifting your head as the case may be...
and to spend quality time with your big brother.
Or, to get poked, if your big brother happens to be Max:)
I love it so much, thank you thank you thank you Luan!

2 comments:

Maryann said...

Love it! Fun bright colors! And SUCH a cute baby.

Darlene said...

I agree, Luan IS an artist! I'm happy she took my beginner blocks and created a treasure for your little Ruby...that makes me happy too.