Monday, May 11, 2009

Temporary Insanity

I was bored on Saturday. Jared decided to go to work with his Dad, and the house was clean...what was I going to do with myself and the kids all day? I know, lets make strawberry jam!!!
So, two full flats (24 baskets) of strawberries and six packages of pectin later...It's actually easier than it sounds. All you have to do is:
crush 4 cups of berries...

mix them with pectin packet and 1 1/2 cup sugar for 3 minutes...

then ladle into freezer safe containters.


The jam is really good. I ran out of pectin before I ran out of strawberries (should have bought 8 packets, oh well), but I think I made enough jam...except that we've gone through about 2 cups of it in the past few days...maybe I didn't make enough...


Clean up was fast - with an empty dishwasher it was less than 5 minutes to put the two bowls, one knife, one spoon, and one ladle in and wipe down the sink - MUCH cleaner than applesauce, see, I'm not SO crazy...


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Millie @ The Busy Butlers said...

I think I like your recipe better than mine - I also had a moment of temporary insanity and made freezer jam 2 weeks ago. And I also ran out of pectin before the strawberries. But my recipe calls for WAY more sugar than that. I think it's too sweet. Jake & the kids love it, though. But if I do it again, I'm trying it your way!

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

Thanks again, for our share! It was the best you've done yet. I ate a ton of mine already!!!

Jayson & Sara said...

Mmmmmmm I love freezer jam. My grandma used to always make it and we'd have it on her homemade bread. I'll have to try and make some!

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

gonna need to try some... strawberries that is. I've already had enough of the insanity thing.

...and what is your secret to a clean house???