Monday, July 25, 2011

A case of the Crazies

This is what comes of a) never wanting to stand up again and b) looking at too many craft blogs. I did make it a goal to get the cousin christmas presents done before I have this baby, and didn't have much on the schedule today, so I decided to start. As we can see, I got a little bit distracted...
I was making a prototype, and as I looked at the fabric I had left, I thought, hey, that's just enough to make a skirt for Pearl! Well, it turns out it was MORE than enough, and I ended up hemming the whole thing like 15 inches (that's what happens when you just make things up) but after a few modifications I really like how it turned out. So, I used stuff I (and Sherry) had laying around and made a super cool me and my doll ensamble. Very frugal and recyclish of me.
These are the christmas presents I set out to make. Finally finished them this evening, and somewhere in the middle of the day I thought I might make skirts for the dolly mammas too... but now it's late and my fire is burning out. We'll see. If Maryann gets me her girls measurements before I'm sick of the project, they may end up with matching skirts too.

This was my first time working with knit fabrics... (the shirts)... let me just say... never again (dang it, I have to sew knits for the boy projects I had planned.... ok, never after that). I broke a needle, it got all bunchy and stuck several times, and I ended up modifying it so I could have used cotton fabric after all. Grr. Anyways, they are really cute. The other funny part was that I went to Wal Mart looking for knit fabric for the shirts, but they didn't have any, so I bought a $3 mens t-shirt to cut up, but while it was washing I couldn't wait (part of it was for another project, don't worry) so I cut up one of my OLD t-shirts instead. Brilliant. It made me feel like my super talented sister in law Sara who is always making clothes for her little girl out of my brother's worn out clothes. Hmmm, watch out Ruby:)

By the way, Ruby kicked the whole time I was sewing... I think she wants a doll too:)


2 comments:

Lora said...

Wow! Cute stuff! You have outdone yourself once again.

Megan said...

I loved it when my grandma's made my American girl dolls clothes for Christmas. It was so fun because I ended up with tons of different styles. My grandma Phipps even made my doll a matching baptism dress...she made mine. So I right around this age. Crazy! You did a great job. :)