Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Glasses

Ruby has to get glasses.

A few months ago I did an evaluation of a little girl with extreme farsightedness.  Her mom brought her without her glasses, so she was crossing her eyes and trying so hard to focus on things that were close.


Shortly thereafter we went through the process of getting Ruby assessed for her lack of walking.  When the caseworker asked me if I had any vision concerns, I paused.  Because just a few days prior to that I had noticed that when Ruby was looking at things close up, her eyes were crossing.  So, we decided to tell the pediatrician about it at her appointment last week.   I mentioned my concerns and she gave us a referral for a pediatric opthamologist.  We got in within a week.  That appointment was this morning.

I had noticed mostly the left eye crossing, but over the past few days I noticed the right.  As I look back at pictures, they both cross.  (see above?  And look at the closeup from the last post... definitely crossing).  Apparently, it's better if they are both crossing, it's less likely that there is something physically wrong with her eye.  So, today, the nice lady noticed that she was crossing both eyes, and she had to be dialated for a full exam.  She was so funny!  When she was fully dialated, she couldn't focus at all, and her eyes were crossing out of control.  She sat still enough that the Dr was able to determine that she was farsighted, not much, but enough that it's making her eyes cross, and we don't want that.  The good news was that the physical structure of the eye is just fine, which was the other possible cause of crossing.  The Dr was surprised at the amount of crossing with a slight prescription, but she's too young to really do any further testing (he mentioned bifocals!!!  Can you imagine?)  So, we wear glasses for four months then go back to get checked again.  Maybe glasses will help her walk?  We can only hope!  So, I most certianly have a special needs baby now:)  The good news is that she should grow out of the farsightedness by the time she hits kindergarten.

But she looks awfully cute in her whale spout.  And she's going to look pretty cute in her light pink baby glasses:)

1 comment:

Maryann said...

You bet she's going to look cute in her glasses. Yay for Ruby being able to see! I have to make an appointment for myself. I can't read all the street signs anymore. :( Too bad I won't look as cute as Ruby in glasses.