Monday, January 28, 2013

Phew.

When we went to the opthamologist last week, he mentioned concerns that there may be some underlying nerological reason that Ruby has vision AND motor problems.  Like Cerebral Palsy.  Panic.  Panic.  Panic.  So, we went into the physical therapist at Kaiser today to get her assessed and determine if she needs an MRI.  


I'd never thought I'd be so relieved to hear "hypotonia and severe gross motor delay."  The PT does not see any signs or reason why she needs further neurological testing.  If she does not continue to progress, that's another story.  But since she started crawling yesterday, I don't think that's going to be a problem.  


  (I'm just taking as many pictures of her sweet face as I can before the glasses come:)


However, being in PT is going to require some work on our part.   So, I got out a carpet remnant to put in the living room to give her a surface with more traction to work on.  And, at the instruction of the PT, we got the shoes.  The dork patrol shoes.  They actually are a size bigger than her tiny feet because that's the smallest they make, but the PT said that as she bears weight her feet should start growing fast. I think they're going to be trashed in like 5 seconds.  She wore these for about 2 hours today, and 1 hour and 45 minutes of that was in a high chair or the car.  Yeah.  See those pretty flowers?  They're toast!  At least I think they're hideously ugly so if she wants to ruin them she can be my guest.  The hope is that they will help prevent her from scooting and nudge her to crawling, which is the best exercise for the muscles she needs to be able to walk.  


Looks like we've got our work cut out for us.  Good thing she is such a sweet baby!!!  I have hopes that by the time summer comes we can get her some cute sandals to wear and they will be used like they are supposed to... for little feet to toddle in:)

3 comments:

Amy said...

She is darling Amy! I love the pictures you took -she has the best eyes. They smile too :)

Maryann said...

Dork patrol shoes? You would say that:) I think whatever she wears, she is adorable. The shoes kind of remind me of cabbage patch doll shoes.

Lynn said...

Dorky? No! Think "Classic", they do look like a set of baby shoes my dad has of his that were actually bronzed. I love the first pic of Ruby, blowing a kiss?

And Yay for the crawling, good news is good news :)