Sunday, October 5, 2008

Our House


McKenzie Ranch collage, which I now have proudly displayed in the hallway





We live in a house that was built in 1897. I just got a collage together today to hang in the hallway (over the old newspaper, from 1897, that wallpapers the hallway and closet) of pictures brought to us by the granddaughter of the original homesteader. This is our house in the 1920's. We are the thrid family to own it. It was homesteaded in 1876 by William McKenzie. It was then bought by another family, I don't remember their names. This is what our house looked like when we got it:


Actually, this looks a lot better than when we got it, because all of the broken cars and beer bottles had been removed, as well as the sorry excuse for landscaping that we had to buldoze over. Not only that I think this was after the new foundation was put in - lots of work. IT still displays the rusty tin roof nicely, though. Needless to say, the city girl from Granite Bay had a hard time moving here...
This is our house now. Much better, if I do say so myself. Still, it is cool to see the history. I definetly didn't have that perspective when we started the project, but now I'm happy to live in a house with such character. Hopefully, it will stand for another 100 years!




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Larsen Family said...

You make my remodel look like a piece of cake!

Anonymous said...

Hey, that collage is a cool idea!

Amy said...

So cool! I always thought it would be great to live in an old house and fix it up. I love yellow houses! And the white porch is awesome.

Gammyshouse said...

Oh my gosh!!! This is my dream house!

I was just randomly surfing blogs and ran across the picture of your home remodle. It's truly beautiful. It is the image I have had in my mind for many years of my dream cottage. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tammy