Thursday, April 22, 2010

Justification.

I was thinking today and have come up with a list of reasons which justify my having a housekeeper for my tiny house. Here they are:

1. I have three kids (some of you know exactly what I mean. Enough said.)
2. She changed the sheets on Sam's bunk bed last week. They had not been changed since I was forced to to kill scarlet fever germs. So having her around gives Sam a much more hygenic life
3. I started cooking again. Which is not only healthier, but it saves us from going out to eat at least one if not two nights a week - which, if you think about it, pretty much pays for her. Tonight I am grilling a whole chicken rubbed in fresh herbs, onion, and olive oil with steamed artichokes and roasted butternut squash, fingerling potatoes, and brussels sprouts on the side.
4. I haven't bought clothes since she started. Why? Because I am actually able to keep up on laundry. I am no longer thinking the kids don't have enough underwear, because I am so on the ball now they only need like 3 pair. Seriously. The load of laundry I folded this morning mainly consisted of the clothes we wore yesterday. We have a lot of clothes. I just didn't know it before because they were sitting in the dirty mountain of laundry that I liked to ignore. Now I can admit those clothes actually exist.
5. Jared said the other day that I have been happy lately. It's true. A constantly clean house makes me happy.
6. Sometimes I wander around the house and feel like I have nothing to do. So, I organize a drawer. Or Bissel that spot on the rug that has been bugging me for a month. This makes me happy and relaxed, practically tripling my patience threshold, which is good for the whole family.
7. I am no longer defined by housework. I have a manageable amount to do every day, but I have time for other things. Now, instead of feeling like I should make time to play with Sam, I actually HAVE time to play with Sam. We did hooked on phonics yesterday. And painting. And cutting. I actually sat with Max today for 30 minutes and did my therapy color boxes with him. He mostly ate them, but I think he liked the attention. You know, the good parts of being a stay at home mom. In the end, the really important parts. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy those things.

Totally worth it!!!! Thank you Ernestina!

2 comments:

Jared Hulbert said...

So what.... Does she guilty? She's been justifying this for a while now. Amy is pretty funny.

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

Amy... you're the smartest mother I know. I am jealous... and trying to figure out a way to justify help myself... but only having one kid makes it very difficult. I love your thinking!!