Sunday, October 30, 2011

Repentance


Sam and Max love each other so much. Sam is usually so patient with him, as Max likes to sit on him, hit him, and show him a lot of tough love. Sam always forgives (he forgives Pearl too, who most of the time is a little less deserving...) and is happy to play with Max.

Except for tonight. The boys were showering together, and Max wouldn't listen to Sam, so he hit him. For which he got in huge trouble, well, a spanking and a 30 second lecture. He burst into tears. I went back to check on him and tell him that I loved him a few minutes later, and he was still so sad. I asked him why, and he said he just felt so bad that he hurt his little brother. Never have I seen such remorse for sibling violence. Once he got out, he was still upset, so he got dressed and gave hugs and was still a bit teary eyed, so Jared helped him say a prayer of repentance, and when he got to the part where he said he was sorry for hitting his brother, he teared up AGAIN.

Now, Max is sick, so this could just mean that Sam is on his way down, but I think it shows such a sweetness of spirit. Sam holds a special place in our family, and though he never listens and he's such a poky and I'm very afraid of how he's been behaving in school, he has such a tender, loving heart. We're so lucky to have his little spirit in our family.

He says he'll never hurt his little brother again. Here's to hoping! And actually, I think he really will. Try, at least:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sam. Breaks my heart. What a sweet little guy! I think it's such a tender miracle to witness sincere repentance from a little one. It is soo touching and moving.