Thursday, September 1, 2011

Getting Ready

I have a hard time getting ready for babies. I think I'm forever scarred by the loss of my second. I was, of course, ultra organized and prepared, and I think one of the hardest things I have ever done was to pack up the crib and all the baby things after coming home from the hospital. In fact, it's one of the first things I did when I walked in... I think I slept for an hour or two, then could not do anything else until all sign of baby was erased.

At some point, though, you just have to get ready. I'm not sure why it was easier with Max than it is this time... maybe because I was just getting hand me downs out of the attic, and this time, I've had to buy all new things... I've still only washed two outfits and one set of onesies and one blanket, I just can't take the tags off... but enough of my crazy.

So, this week I decided there were some things that just HAD to be done... as an act of faith if nothing else. I think I was spurred on by seing my friend Tami's nursery (if you know her, ask her to post pictures, you'll see why my guilt spiraled into overdrive after seeing her PERFECT nursery...) This whole time, I've been in temporary mode... the babies are going to be together for just two years until Ruby is ready for a toddler bed, then that room will be the boy room and I'll have to re-do everything. I didn't even buy a dresser when I was getting things set up in there, because when the boys move in, I'll have Gary custom build me another bunk with storage, so they get tacky rubbermaid drawers:) And, it's painted snot green. Very boyish, kind of hard to think "nursery" when you're thinking "snot," but I like that color with the boy's bedding so I wasn't about to re-paint.

So, it started with one pink sheet. I wasn't even going to do a crib skirt, because they were all expensive and really needed a motif which I have no energy for. I also really struggled with what to put over the blank wall, because I don't like to put anything that would kill the baby if it fell (you know, heavy picture frames, books, etc.) So, I went for functional. My favorite things that I have bought have been her dresses, but I really have no place to hang them (or anything else, for that matter... remember, no closets). So after a trip to target where I found a bedskirt I liked (in full, I cut it down) and a curtian rod and some nice infant hangars, here we have it...
I'm still waiting for Jared to put her letters up above the dresses, but I really like how it turned out. I'm really more one for function than decor, but I think this combines it all nicely.
One of the other things that went up yesterday was the new crib mobile. It was a very freeing thing when as I was looking at them I realized I'm not having any more kids, so I can choose the girl flavor of everything with no guilt... it won't have to be passed down (well, at least not to another of my children). So, she gets a new pink mobile. Max has been busy trying everything out, we've had a lot of "goo goo ga ga" going on this morning.
My favorite part was when he brought his pillow and blankie into my room and insisted on getting set up in the co-sleeper (which I set up to check sizes and such, luckilly, no large re-arrangements will be necessary). He then requested books, a water bottle, and some fruit snacks and spent a very happy 20 minutes pretending to be a baby:)
Now at least I can say that I put some effort into her arrival:)

2 comments:

Maryann said...

Wow, OK now I'm feeling really unprepared. I do need to at least wash some sort of bedding. I've been avoiding the clothes. I have some, just nowhere to put them. Aaaaaahhhhh! Whose idea was this? Why are we doing this again?

Sorry.

I really like her dresses hanging over her crib. I must admit I felt a little flash of jealousy. So fun! I can't wait to meet her. I'm just giddy at the thought of another girl in your family.

Elizabeth said...

Love the dresses idea! Super super cute, and way functional! I have to admit, I browsed over the post at lunchtime without reading the content and had a good laugh at Max in the crib testing the mobile. Very fun!