Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Confessions of a First Grade Drama Queen...

Pearl began taking piano lessons during the first week of school this year. Her teacher is really nice and comes highly recommended and should probably be paid more to deal with Pearl:) The first few weeks we had a friday evening spot, so I would leave the boys with Jared and sit in on the lesson, so I could glare at her when she was rude and things like that. Then, the yawning got to be too much for her teacher, so she found us a time right after school on Mondays. At that time, I have both boys so I've been waiting in the car and running short errands. So, apparently, last week she cried in her lesson because she's just so busy, she has to do homework AND piano... boo hoo. When she got in the car, she calmly announced that "Mrs Frazier said I should talk to you about it if I really want to quit." WHAT!!! Apparently, she didn't do one of her songs perfectly and was offered some correction by the teacher (yeah, that would be the teacher's job, don't you think?!) and started crying because she just doesn't do it perfectly. It was so bad, that I got an e-mail from the teacher saying "maybe we should move to an easier book" and she only has one song to practice this week (since I make her practice 15 minutes a day, it certainly won't make her less busy...). So, today I sat down to practice with her, and at first she's a little upset but we keep on going anyway and by the end she had made some real progress and was justly happy with herself. Then, she's all smiles, oh, she can make music for us whenever she feels like it, and oh, she thinks she'll write a song for Mrs. Frazier.



When I looked at it I started laughing it's just like in her book, with quarter notes AND half notes and finger numbers. Oh, and she'll play it for you too. Sigh. Good thing I didn't let her quit, because you know she would be throwing that back in my face as an adult. "Oh, if you'd just put me in piano lessons, I would play well now... just look at how I was already writing my own songs after just 4 lessons..."

2 comments:

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that you're one of those moms that make you practice!!! She'll totally be thanking you one day!...when she has her own kids starting piano... and she puts a blog post about it :)

Kristine said...

Amy...this story made me laugh so hard. So funny. She sounds a lot like my third child. Gotta love those kiddos.