Monday, October 12, 2009

Girl Scouts

I am totally insane (or else I just love my daughter VERY much) and volunteered to be the assistant leader in Pearl's brownie troop. I actually love it, time spent with girls (lately I feel like I'm surrounded by boys!). This last meeting was at our house, and we had a great time!
The girls did a brownie pond ceremony, where they spun and chanted the brownie poem (the one I remember from my short stint as a brownie myself) and discovered that they were the brownie helper the family was looking for! They really seemed to enjoy it. When I did it as a brownie, I remember they had some fake greenery set up around a mirror. I was all set to do that for these girls, then I remembered... wait, I have a real pond! It worked wonderfully, and as the girls came off the bridge the new girls got their pins and the veterans gave Dee (the leader) the girl scout handshake. So cute!

Then they went on a hunt for the parts of the girl scout promise. There are 10 parts, from "friendly and helpful" to "be a sister to every girl scout." I hid them kind of hard, I had to help the last few teams find theirs, but they really enjoyed that.
The meeting ended with happy mayhem, games of jack frost, duck duck goose, and 17 little girls rolling down the lawn. So much fun to be a girl scout!
Poor Sam - he always wants to come to girl scouts too. Don't worry, Sam, there are MANY years of scouting ahead in your future!!!


No comments: