Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween

So, I'm sure the question you're asking yourself is, how on earth did Jared and Max end up as the squeeze aliens from Toy Story? I mean, didn't Max already have a costume? That, my friends, is a valid question.
The costumes previously featured on this blog were ones bought on clearance last year for just a few dollars. Do I get gratitude from my family for being so frugal? No. What I get is whining. Pearl just wanted to be something scary, like a ghost. She ended up wearing her witch costume from last year to the school harvest festival. Sam wore first a dragon costume, then a robot costume. Apparently we were not interested in our totally adorable hot dog. Jared whined because I didn't let the kids pick their own costumes out. Auggh!
So, on Halloween morning, I was feeling guilty that I really didn't let the kids pick out their costumes. So, I think, I can pull together a ghost costume, let's see what we can get done. Then I sat down to ask Sam what he wanted to be, and he said "Woody" (I'm sure because Evan is Buzz Lightyear this year). So, I think, no big deal, he has a cowboy hat and belt, I can get a plaid shirt and make a quick cowhide vest. No problem.
So, I head off down to the local feed store (at about 8:30) and got a shirt and some really cool cowboy boots. On the way, I call Pearl, are you sure you want to be a ghost? You can be Jesse if you want to. No, no, I want to be a ghost. OK.
I get home with the goods, and Pearl sees the cowboy boots. I think she fell in love, because THEN she decided she wanted to be Jesse instead. So, after conferencing with Grandma Hulbert, I drag all the kids to Wal Mart (never again all three on a Saturday!) to buy fleece and ribbon and binding tape and yellow felt and orange yarn. It will all be so simple, I can make Max a alien hat, and Jared and I can be Mr. and Mrs. Potato head.
Well, it wasn't as simple as it seemed. At about 2:30 as I was glueing trim to Pearl's shirt, I gave up on the potato heads (what on earth am I going to do with 4 yards of brown fleece!). Once Pearl and Sam's costumes were done, I started sewing the hat for Max. Well, I apparently didn't measure it all that well, because it was big enough for Jared. Great. So I made Jared an alien too!!!
We invited our neighbors to trunk or treat with us, this is Pearl with all her little friends. They would only give me cheesey smiles, so, lacking the time and energy to get real smiles, I asked them to give me a scared face. The result was much more entertaining!
Aww, Buzz and Woody, friends at last:) It was a fun halloween, though this is the first time I've been sad that it's over because I want the kids to wear their costumes again! Oh well, we do play quite a bit of dress up at our house!

3 comments:

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

you're beyond amazing Amy... way way beyond amazing. That's all I have to say! TOOOOO CUUUTTEE!!!

Crystal Hulbert said...

wow really cute job amy! i love pearls shirt and wig.

Megan said...

I love how I go to your blog to check out my neice and nephew instead of tami's. You are just so good at posting.