Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Questions.

Sam has been asking questions lately. Deep, philosophical questions. Like, "Mom, why do we use the words we do?" Or, looking at grandma's house "Mom, why are those two brown houses squished together?" (I'm assuming he was referring to Great Grandma's apartment, but who knows!). Most of the time, I try the I don't know, but that doesn't always work. Today, he asked "Why do we call it die when people die?" "When will I die?" "What does it look like when you die?" This line of questioning led to a conversation about how when you die your body stays here and your spirit goes to heaven, and ended in tears "But I like my body!!! I want to stay here on earth!" Sigh.

The funniest conversation lately started "Mom, when I get older will I still like the things I like?"
"Well, Sam, I hope when you get older you like more things. Like beans, for example"
"No mom, I mean will I like dinosaurs and dragons and skinny things (his own animal category, that includes sharks, snakes, lizards, eels, you know, skinny things)."
"Yes Sam, I'm sure you will."

2 comments:

Maryann said...

I was loving his very observant comment when we were out to pizza last night. "Look! It's like the hulberts sitting over here, and the taylors over there!"

Elizabeth said...

Awww...I love that stage...at least, I loved it when kids ask me those sorts of questions...maybe I wouldn't if they did that 24/7, but it's fun to watch the wheels turning as they start to understand slightly more complex things.